The TAL "Health Sense" program offers potential life insurance premium discounts for customers participating in two kinds of preventative activities:
1. Primary prevention, aimed at preventing conditions before they occur, and involves customers having a Body Mass Index (BMI) level within a specified healthy range.
2. Secondary prevention, aimed at detecting health conditions early, and involves customers having preventative screening health tests. The tests within the program have been "recommended by the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP), who provide guidelines on what screening tests people should get, based on their age, gender and individual underlying risk."
For further information see https://www.tal.com.au/health-sense
TAL has also launched an online preventative health program BEACN to help customers better understand and manage their mental well-being. The program was developed with the University of Sydney Brain and Mind Centre, and:
- guides members through a short questionnaire;
- provides a mental well-being score;
- based on responses, provides members with "evidence-based resources ... to help them self-manage and improve their mental health outcomes".
Members can also choose to contribute to mental well-being research. The BEACN program has been initially launched with one of TAL’s superannuation fund partners, UniSuper. Further information - TAL Media Release 31 October 2019.